While active adults are drawn to Delaware for many reasons, the state’s favorable tax laws are often a large part of the decision to relocate to the First State. In addition to not having statewide or countywide sales taxes, Delaware offers additional tax benefits including:
- Extremely low real estate property taxes compared to neighboring states
- No personal property taxes
- No inheritance taxes (for most residents)
- No local taxes outside of the City of Wilmington
- No state taxes on social security benefits
- Depending on a resident’s age, he or she may also qualify for favorable limits on pension benefit taxes.